Monday, October 06, 2008

Darn you Carrie ... or is it thanks?

So I go up to my interview on Friday not feeling that good. My sinuses are really doing a number on me so I am not 100%. Just before leaving I notice that my cell phone was dead. "great". not like I will actually need it though. I was striving to get up there early, but made it just in time. I fill out an application for the job, but get to the area where I have to list my references. oh crud, those phone numbers are on my cell phone that is at home and dead. My head is spinning so much that I can't think of any other people or phone numbers at all. I end up just leaving that part blank and hoping that it won't come up. After filling out the application I sit down with the president of the company for my interview. Not an outwardly friendly guy, but not too stoggy. Not long into the interview he asks the question that is the worst interview question in the world. "What is your biggest weakness?" This is just a bad question since no one would ever answer it honestly without making themselves look bad. Carrie Q (of the Q collective) recently asked her blog readers for the best response to this question. http://caquincy.blogspot.com/2008/09/help-ideas-for-interviews.html
A couple of the responses to the question "what is your biggest weakness", were humerous and included the responses "chocolate" and "kryptonite". As soon as he asked the question, my mind started to swirl (or continue to swirl with my sinuses). Would he appreciate the humerous answer? After what seemed like an eternity I decided against the humous answer and opted for some made up B.S. I think he would have appreciated the humor, but we will see how funny this guy is if I get the job. I need to work on putting together questions to ask the employer. The Friday interview was scheduled for 3 hours but only took an hour and a half. I am not sure if I should try and fill as much of that time with inane questions, but the president covered every question that I had going in there.

Of the 50 resume's he recieved he is only interviewing 10 of them and I am one. After finishing the interviews he goes on vacation this week, so I won't know anything until the middle of October. Jen is getting alot of hours at Disney and working her butt off right now, which is fortunate for us, but unfortunate for her since she isn't used to that type of work schedule.

Yeah that 3 hour interview that I did 3 weeks ago? They still haven't told me if I did or did not get the job. I know they have not filled the position yet. I emailed her a little over a week ago to see the status, but didn't get a response. I came across her cell phone and might just give her a call. At first I was understanding that the didn't get back to me, but now I am starting to get a little ticked. Interview someone for 3 hours and not bother to let them know what happened is just not right.

2 comments:

CAQuincy said...

@#$% interviewers! Seriously! You reminded me that I forgot to give a few of the details of my "unpolished" interview (the one where I carried a big barf purse for "just in case"). He was a horrible interviewer all around. Call that other place. And my mother would ask "Did you send a thank you card?" Anyway, you're entitled to know what's up, and you're also entitled to get feedback on what they may or may not have liked about you. (This from the girl who didn't ask--NOR did I send a thank you card. 'Cause I'm just a rebel. Or stupid.)

Marcus said...

Good luck! That stinks!