Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Life Goes On

Saturday Jen tells me that the garage door won't go up. Now this is a problem that usually happens when it is bitterly cold outside. Even though it was very cold it wan't cold enough to cause this problem. I go in the garage and see that one of the springs for the garage door is broken in half. Son of a ....I thought that I just had those springs replaced a few years ago but upon further review I think I was thinking of the house on Traders Crossing. I spent the rest of the weekend manually raising and lowering the garage without the aid of the springs and holy crap that garage door is heavy. I did some calling around on Monday and got a few quotes from different companies in the area. Anywhere from $160 to $200 of money that we don't have to replace the springs. I called the one company this morning to make sure they took credit cards since that's the only way this thing is getting fixed. A little over an hour and a half later they had a van out here to repair the springs. The guy they sent wasn't overly friendly or talkative until Andrew started talking to him and then he got more friendly. While he was replacing the springs he told me that the top sprocket (spaceley's sprockets?) on the garage door was getting ready to break. Crap (again). He said it would be around $50 to replace the sprocket. I asked him if it was something that I could do to try and save a little money. The repair guy told me that I could try it, but if I messed it up that there would be another $80 service fee on top of the $50 for him to come back out again. Uhhhh no I don't feel that lucky. I watched him replace that sprocket and all I can say is thank God that I had him do it. He had to just about tear apart the whole garage door opener from the bottom up. He commented to me about other people who have tried to replace the part themselves and the things that need to be adjusted that they don't know about and parts that need to be transfered and etc etc. Yeah it was worth the extra $50. The garage door works great now and I think that the repair has actually quieted it down a little bit as well. It still vibrates in William's room pretty good, but its a little better.

There was another incident with Jen that I am not sure I am allowed to comment about. All I can say is that it's good to have insurance.......

1 comment:

MR said...

Whenever something burns me and needs to be repaired, I always find some way to convince myself to replace the whole thing. In that case, I would have been like "Put in a whole new opener, and this time I want a DISCO BALL hanging from it!"