Thursday, October 23, 2008

Taking a Break

Don't get me wrong. I like being home with the kids and being Mr. Mom, but now I understand when Jen goes through and why she needs to have a job to get her out of the house (besides the extra money). Saturday I got an invite to get out of the house from some friends who were going to play golf. I debated about spending the money to play 9 holes on a chilly morning, but decided that I could use the break and get out of the house.The original plan was to tee off early so we could do other stuff with the rest of the day, but it was still hovering around the mid to lower 40's at 8:00am so we decided to try for 10:30. I drive all the way out to Eel River in Churubuso to meet my friend Wendy, Gina, and Gina's boyfriend Tom. I get to the couse and it's not busy at all which is fortunate since everyone in the group has only played a few times this year and Tom hasn't touched a club in a couple of years. I decided to be a little bit adventurous and use a set of clubs that I bought 7 years ago and had never played with. They were a set of used Hogan's that included the Hogan bag for $100. I tried to justify the purchase by telling Jen that I bought them for her in case she wanted to start playing golf. Needless to say I don't think the game interests her. Anyway we step up to tee of on number #1 in an almost empty course and as we are warming up two foursomes drive up to the tee. Crap, so much for a lazy day of golf. We all duff it off the first tee and struggle to play the first hole. We notice a couple of times, while searching for our scattered shots that the foursomes are waiting for us in the fairway. As we are heading to the number #2 tee we take a wrong turn and end up on the #11 tee, but we also notice that there is no one playing the back 9 at all. We decide to play the back 9 to get out of the way of the other golfers. Number #11 and 12 run right next to #2 and 3. After getting off the #12 tee we notice that the people behind us on the front 9 have now passed us so we hopped back on the front 9 to finish. Lucky for us it wasn't that crowded that we could do this but also that Wendy and Gina know the pro really well so he wouldn't get too mad at us. The scenery on the course was fantastic with the trees changing color. I kicked myself for not bringing the camera. The weather turned out to be fantastic too with the sun being real warm with just a little cool breeze. How did I play you might ask? Did I mention the scenery was fantastic? I played like crap. I was pulling everying to the left for some reason. I don't know if it was lack of practice or the different set of clubs effecting my swing. I blame both. As we were finishing the front 9 people started catching up to us again so we just picked up at #8 and called it a day. Of course on #8 is where I unleashed a huge drive that was straight and far. I got a few good shots in. We headed back to Gina's so I could look at her computer. I was just over last week and "fixed" it, but now I think it is really fubared. It was a freebee computer that I got to work, but I think the hard drive finally gave up the ghost. There might be one more chance to play golf this year if I can talk my brother into buying while he is home this week :)

On the job front I had a second interview yesterday (Wed) for a job in Auburn. This interview went so much better than the first. My sinuses weren't driving me nuts so I was more like myself and on my game. The people are real nice to talk to and I think it will be more like a family that a coporate gig. They will let me know the first of next week either way. Besides that nothing on the horizon, just lotsa resume's and emails going out.

No comments: