Monday, September 08, 2008

Night Golf IV

Friday night was the annual Kiwaniis night golf tournament. Like every year I invite everyone since I know how fun it is, and like every year I struggle to put together a foursome. This year was no different where the maybe's turned into can't make it's, so it just left me and my brother. So we show up for the event with a chance of a couple of other people showing up that I invited. We settled down with dinner and a beer. This year they had a choice of bratwurst or a BBQ pulled pork sandwich. The brat was boiled and just alright, but the pork was very good. They also had potatoes and green beans as sides. After eating we were talking to the organizer of the event and he said that the attendance was down for the year, I think due to it being after labor day and on a Friday night (high school football night). Next year they have already said that they were going to move it back to August. It's a shame since this is such a good event and I am sure I will try like every year to get as many people to play as possible. I am not real sure how they market this event, but I don't think it's enough. So with some last minute instruction we head out to the course.

Dan and I start our trek out to the 12th tee which is just about as far away from the club house as you can get. That was a good stretch of the legs to get warmed up. Since it was just Dan and I playing they gave us two extra balls so we could each play two. This was nice, but at the same time a pain to keep track of both balls and chase them down on every shot. Dan's first drive with the glowing balls was pretty good (his second was even better). Not bad for only playing once this year when he cleaned my clock. I actually got off a pretty good drive as well. Playing at night is alot of playing the "feel" of the ball and not as much visual. Of course at night you have to throw out the depth perception and just hope that you have the right club. We played the 9 holes at a pretty brisk pace. We didn't need to since there wasn't anyone behind us, but we just did. I think I had the most bad shots of the two of us. There was a couple times that even with two shots I couldn't hit it 10 yards, but I started to hit my drives really well at the end. Again the beer was cold and close so we never had to worry about running out. What a perfect night to play golf. I think in the lower to mid 60's with a slight breeze blowing which was just warm enough not to need a jacket. It was an overcast night which reflected the city lights so it wasn't too dark out on the course, which is good since the sliver of moon wouldn't have given us much light to play with. Last year it was clear, but it was a low, full moon providing plenty of night light. We ended up at a legitimate 1 over score which I thought was pretty good. The guy who came in first was the guy I played with last year and I remember how he keeps score in his head so I wonder about that. We tied for second with a foursome of girls who I question there score as well since we saw them tee-off, but hey it's for fun and charity. We still ended up winning prizes. I got a gift certificate to Starbucks for Jenny to use and Dan got a Bobicks gift certificate and just gave it to me since he is hitting the road again. Once again I had a blast and I will be playing again next year. Hopefully they will put it on a day where my friends will be available next year. Home and to bed by 1:30am where Andrew wakes up at 6:30am... yeah I got a nap in the afternoon.

No comments: