Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Unemployed doesn't mean not busy

Well my first day unemployed and it was very busy. I am going to make it a point to get up early in the morning and start my day just like usual. Not that I have much of a choice with the kids anyway. I got up and took William to school. Of course with school being at church, I stopped and gave a shout out to the big guy. After that I headed over to Office Depot. I needed to print out more copies of my resume but my printer at home isn't working and my mom's didn't print out either. I have 3 printers in the house and none of them work. I think the ink just drys out for lack of use in those printers. I went to Office Depot not knowing how much they charged or if they could use the paper I brought in, but they were very helpful and I was able to use my own paper. I threw my resume on a floppy disc since I didn't really feel like using a CD for a 30 meg file. The girl plugs in my disc and starts doing her thing, but it freezes up and says that the disc is corrupt. Crap. Lucky for me they have internet connection on that computer and I pull it up on line since I had emailed it to myself not to long ago. For a nice laser copy of my resume it was only 9 cents which isn't too bad. Color would have been 49 cents apiece, but the only color that I had on my resume was my email address. So I leave there and head next store to Kohl's. I tried on my suit last night and it was a little big, but I couldn't find a black belt in the house. So I run in the store and start looking around at the selection of belts. I try on a couple of different sizes, but one looks to small and the other looks to big. I finally found a size in the middle that I think will work out pretty well. After checking out I notice that there is a Red Cross RV in the parking lot and a lady inside asks me if I want to donate blood. I have been wanting to do that for a while, but for one reason or another I have never done it. So I sign up and head out to the RV. You can tell by the inside that this RV has been through alot. It wasn't dirty or anything, but I will say it looked "well used". So I finally get to meet with a person to fill out the paperwork and questionnaires to get started. After that I laid down on a little couch and went through the process of giving blood. Overall it wasn't too bad. I didn't have a chance to grab breakfast before leaving so they had me drink a coke while I was giving blood to keep my blood sugar up. I felt a little weird after giving blood, but I couldn't tell if it was because I gave blood or if it was because I am not used to drinking caffeine anymore since I stopped drinking it 8 years ago. After giving blood I was sent to the front of the bus and given a couple of cookies and watched a mechanic working on the engine of the RV. (like I said this thing has been well used). I wasn't sure if I had to sit there for a specific amount of time, but finally they said, "oh you could have left when you wanted". Maybe next time I will go to the plasma center and make a little $$$. So I get home and grab some breakfast, then head over to pick up William from school. After getting home I got online to start the process for unemployment. I still need to get more details on what exactly I need to do and that kind of stuff. Saturday I got a call for a second interview for a job, which she later called back and set up for this afternoon. She told me to block out at least 5 hours for the interview... 5 hours????? I would be meeting with 3 or 4 different people in the same afternoon. She scheduled every person at least an hour and a half. I couldn't possibly fathom trying to interview someone for that long, but hey whatever they want to do. I made it to the appointment early. The first guy I talked to had a script of questions and he took the full time together asking me his scripted questions and drilling me on some other stuff. The second guy just kind of skimmed over the scripted questions, but we spent most of the time just talking. After about 30 minutes he says that he can't think of anything else and decides to end it early, which is fine, but kind of messes up the schedule for the last guy. They were able to call him in a little early so I spent most of that time talking with some of the staff until he showed up. The third guy didn't have his script at all and we just talked for 15 minutes or so. About 3 and a half hours total, I was basically done for my interview. I knew there was another person who might want to talk to me, but I wasn't about to hang out without a specific appointment. So I headed home stopping by the Disney store to talk to Jen. I grabbed some Mikky D's on the way home for the boys. I will hear about the job the first of next week. Until then I am going to keep looking on the internet and sending out resumes. Overall I think I did well on the interviews. The job sounds exciting and overwhelming at the same time, but I think I can probably handle it.

3 comments:

MR said...

Ironicly, talking to the staff might have been the most beneficial thing. I know so many managers that would train anyone to do anything just so long as they are normal and congenial. You'll do well with your upbeat attitude.

CAQuincy said...

I agree with MR.

I've sold plasma. Helped me get through senior year. Hmmmm...I wonder if there is a place to do that here?

Good luck!

MR said...

Yeah, and the need for plasma has gone up since the advent of the plasma TV. You should donate to a well-deserving 50" Samsung.