Monday, September 29, 2008

TV full circle

Back in the teenage days I seem to remember a whole lotta TV shows that I just had to watch. Shows like Knight Rider, BJ and the Bear, the Fall Guy, Simon and Simon, the Dukes of Hazard and the A Team just to name a few. Of course none of these shows were very.. how to say it.. "intellectual". They didn't require alot of thought of what was going to happen next since it was pretty much the same formula every week. With Knight Rider it was more about the car and what it could do. With BJ and the Bear it was more about semi's (I loved semi's), a couple of hot blondes (it was close to puberty), and a freakin' monkey!!! Who couldn't love that. It's the same with the Dukes of Hazard with the car and Daisy Duke. With the A team it was about blowin stuff up and shooting things. I loved these shows as a kid. When I heard they were remaking Knight Rider I groaned a little bit since I remembered it now as being pretty stupid, but my curiosity was also perked at the same time. I missed the made for TV movie they made last month, but I heard that they were making a weekly series that started last week. Wednesday came around and I tuned it in. I thought I would see if the boys might enjoy it since there are cars running around which the boys love. Needless to say the boys were glued in front of the TV for the hour. They thought the car was very cool (and so did I), but the story line was pretty inane. I am sure the boys weren't really paying attention to that anyway. I have no idea who the actors are in the show and I am not sure if I would have started watching the show if I didn't have 3 boys to pass along the Knight Rider legacy. The next day William was trying to find a DVD the cabinet. I asked what he was looking for and he told me he was looking for the car DVD. So I pulled out the Disney "Cars" DVD, but he just looked at me and said, "no, the black car". I try to explain to him that we do not have a DVD of the show, whereupon he tells me that the "store has it" and wants me to go get it. This is the fun of trying to explain a weekly TV show to a 5 year old since everything they watch anymore is in the DVD format. So I am sure that we will be planted in front of the TV on Wednesday (much to Jen's chagrin) to watch this weeks episode of Knight Rider. I have heard rumors of a remake of the A-team somewhere either on TV or in the movies. They had already remade Dukes of Hazard, and I have heard that it was pretty good, but I didn't have a chance to watch it. It makes me wonder if they will remake BJ and the Bear. Probably not. It's good to see that TV is finally getting a clue and getting away from "reality" TV and back to Sit Coms and some other shows that even though they are pretty stupid, they are at least entertaining.

No comments: