Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Labor Day weekend

Another good and busy weekend around the household. My dad and step mom came up for the weekend. I offered to let them stay at our house, but with my dad's allergy to the cat and not wanting to get up at 7:00am with the kids, they decided to stay at a hotel. They made it up on Friday afternoon and came over Friday night with my bother. Of course they came loaded with food and toys. They gave the boys at least two bags full of toys including a couple of street rods, a couple of huge dump trucks, and some plastic power tools. My children, with the patients of gnats, can't wait for me to get them out of the box. My step-mom Betty is a fantastic cook and brought a bunch of stuff up to snack on including queso, banana bread, and cookies. She takes tortilla shells, cuts them up, and pan fries the pieces to make her own chips that are delicious. I would attempt to do that myself, but I am not sure I would want to deal with all the grease and stuff, but it might be worth it. After visiting for a while we broke out the Wii. My dad didn't understand what the big deal was with the game so I was trying to show him. I showed him the Leggos Indiana Jones game, but he wasn't too impressed, but when I got out the Wii Sports I think he finally got it. I think he really enjoyed the golf, tennis, and bowling. My dad, brother, and I were bowling at just about the same level, when my brother started throwing strikes right after another and beat us both. After playing for a while we decided to call it a night. It was getting late, and we were making too much noise downstairs, keeping the boys awake. Reminded me of the times when my dad and the neighbor would play ping pong in the garage at night and Dan and I would sit by the door learning new vocabulary words (not the good kind either).

Saturday: Company came over in the morning and my dad,brother and I took off and headed up to the ACD auction. I originally thought about taking the boys with me since they love cars, but later I was grateful that I didn't since it was pretty hot and we did alot of walking around. There is nothing like paying $20 to walk around and look at cars. Yeah being a typical guy I was drooling over alot of them, but not as much as my Dad :). We walked, we gawked, we shopped and told stories about how we knew a guy who owned one just like that one, or my dad owned one. It was pretty hot walking around the parking lot. Finally we found some seats in the auction area and just watched them auction off cars. I was doing my best to keep my hands down since I really didn't feel like bidding on a car by accident. There was one idiot who was waving at his friend and they thought he was bidding. He almost bought a $40,000 car. It is fun to sit there and try and guess how much a car will go for. That's what Bob Chase and I used to do when we were there with the radio station. I was close on a couple but waaaay off on others. Some of the cars they would spend quite a bit of time of trying to get bids and some they would spend little to no time at all. Reminds me of when I took mom's Prowler on the auction block. I think we were on stage and off in a few minutes, ticked me off. I think they would spend more times on cars there were there from their buddies or people they knew. I had a chance to say something to Dean Kruse on the way out of there, but didn't. Nothing like spending a couple of hundred dollars to run a car onto a stage for 3 minutes. The other part that ticked me off on that day is that the car was scheduled to be on stage at a certain time in the afternoon, but ended up being HOURS late when most of the crowd had left. Yeah I will never auction off another car up there. Anyway..... After a couple of hours we headed home. My brother took off to get ready for his "gig" playing with his band at the American Legion and my dad and step-mom headed back to the hotel to freshen up and go out to dinner. Jen had to work, so I was playing with the boys until she got home. My dad and step-mom were going to meet up with my mom for dinner before Dan's gig, but found out that the Legion didn't serve food on the weekends. My dad ended up heading over to Triangle park and my mom and her friends ended up having a pizza delivered to the Legion. I showed up around 8:30 to find out that the band hadn't started playing yet. I set up my mom's camera to record the band and just let it roll. My brother has been playing in bands for most of his life, through many genres of music, and with moderated success. Most of his bands haven't been too main-stream usually leaning to something alternative or original (see barnyard animals post post HERE). Most of his bands usually have very talented musicians, but not the greatest singer. The latest band "Big Caddy Daddy" is the best one that he has been in yet. Great musicians and singers, a set list that you can dance to, and a fun attitude. There was a pretty good crowd at the Legion and everyone danced most of the night.



I hung out recording their show until a little after 11:00. In between sets I had a chance to talk to Dan and he showed me his custom "fuzzy" drumset. He put some fake fur on his set and had a couple skulls topping his cymbals to name a few things. I took off for home not long after that.

Sunday: After church and a trip to the store, we all met up again and I took my dad, step-mom, and brother up to the lake for the annual Clymer family fish fry. This is always a good time with good food. Unfortunately my in-laws lost their shade tree to rot so we spent most of the time under the canopy or looking for shade since the sun was freakin' hot. So we sat around, visited, ate, and looked for a place for a nap. After a while my dad and brother took off for home and we took the boys down to the lake for a swim. William is getting alot more comfortable around the water and isn't too afraid about getting in some deeper water if he is on a float. He actually fell off a float and went underwater for a nose-full once, but it didn't scare him out of the water. We really need to get him some swimming lessons. After that and some more food (urp) we packed up and headed for home.

Monday: Jen made a run for the new Dunkin' Doughnuts to grab a dozen for breakfast. They are good, but I am not sure they are worth the drive. The doughnuts are Meijer are still very tasty. We decided to have a cookout at our house and invited everyone over. My bother wanted to make steak Fajitas and grill some corn so they stopped out in Amish country in the morning to grab some stuff. Everyone made it over to the house a little after noon. I thought we were trying to eat between 2 and 3 but Dan thought we were looking at between 4 or 5 so I ended up putting out some stuff to snack on while we were visiting. I love my brother, but when he tries to cook something, it usually doesn't turn out that well for one unforeseen problem or another. Of course I was trying to help, and Betty was trying to help, so we might have had a few too many Chiefs in the kitchen. I just drifted out of the way after a while and just stayed on stand-by in case I was needed. Stuff happened all day to make it one to remember for myself at least. Mom spilled her full pop on Jen. The sirloin that Dan got had huge bones in it like a T-bone (usually sirloin is boneless). Then Dan brought in the cooked steak to cut it up and put it in with the sauteed onions and peppers. Betty asks if that is going into this and Dan says "yes". Well Dan thinks she is asking about putting the steak in with the onions, but she is asking about putting the cooking summer squash in with the onions, which she ends up doing. oops. they end up picking out the summer squash and putting in the steak. Bottom line is that the fajitas were simply delicious, great flavor, tender meat, with a hint of brown sugar (from the squash). It was seriously the best fajitas I have ever had. We ended up eating out on the back deck on a fantastic evening. I was worried that it would be too hot, but in the shade with a bit of a breeze was perfect. So some more visiting and the company decided to head back to the hotel. My dad brought a cooler to stock up on the Win Schulers cheese since he can't get it down in Alabama. After they left we did a quick clean up, which wasn't much thanks to Betty. Jen and I were sitting in the front room watching TV and thinking about putting the boys to bed, but not physically able to. I notice that Andrew is going to the fridge quite alot to get a glass of water, which usually he doesn't do. After the third glass I told him that was enough. Then I hear the water running in the bathroom. I go to see what they are up to when I see that the back of their new dump trucks are full of water and the carpet is soaked. I yell at the boys (yeah I was cranky) and tell them to get upstairs and to bed. We soak up the water with towels and I get out the steam cleaner to pull water out as well. After cleaning up I apologize to the boys for yelling at them and we put them to bed. I finally drag my butt up to bed around 11:00.

It was a long but a very good weekend...

No comments: